Saturday 8 September 2018

About Life and Maintaining


Friday, July 20, 2018, I went for results of blood work my new doctor (Dr. MacMullin) had done and I’m anemic... So I began iron infusions once a week for 5 weeks, which has improved some of my symptoms significantly
The signs of anemia are generally vague. When anemia is of a mild nature, it may not show any symptoms at all. However, when it is more severe, it can cause a host of symptoms, and here are the ones that have been affecting me since over a year;
1. Fatigue
Without sufficient oxygenated blood, you tend to become fatigued. Typically, the first and the most common symptom of anemia is a loss of energy. It is not that sluggish feeling you get from being stressed out or after working overtime; it’s a different type of weakness. It involves bone tiredness that affects your overall quality of life. There will be an unusual drop in the energy levels, which can hamper the daily activities. Therefore, you remain exhausted all the time.
2. Elevated Heartbeat
Anemia is damaging to the cardiovascular system. Insufficient red blood cells or hemoglobin can reduce oxygen transport to the organs. Inadequate delivery of the oxygen supply from the lungs will drastically impact the heart and other muscle issues. You might experience an elevated heart rate. That is because your heart tries harder to get oxygenated blood to the rest of the body. The heartbeat is especially increased after a workout session if you are anemic.
3. Abnormal Paleness
Look at the mucous membrane of your eyes. It is the tissue lining the insides of the lids and best visualized above the lower lashes. Does it seem normal? If it appears pale, it is a sign that you don’t have adequate hemoglobin or red blood cells. Besides the symptoms in the eyes, anemia can also cause paleness in the face, palms, and nail beds. Do not ignore a lack of color of the skin as it is a clear sign of anemia.
4. Strange Cravings
Iron-deficiency anemia can cause some pretty odd cravings for things like ice, clay, paper, and soil. Thankfully I’m just craving ice. If you have anemia, eating ice can give a pump to the mental sharpness just like a cup of coffee.
5. Shortness of Breath
People with anemia do not obtain a sufficient supply of oxygenated blood to the organs of the body. Not only will the heart rate increase, but you will also experience shortness of breath. This symptom happens because the blood is not able to transport enough of the oxygen that you inhale to perform its functions. Difficulty catching your breath can be a sign of anemia. This sign can occur doing simple exercises like climbing the stairs.
6. Headaches
Migraines and tension headaches are quite frequent if you are anemic. Lack of oxygen-rich blood due to anemia can cause headaches, especially following physical exertion.
7. Dizziness
Dizziness, or more specifically lightheadedness, is one of the most common and telling signs of anemia. Dizziness combined with lightheadedness or faintness is quite common for those with anemia.
8. Insomnia
Do you have difficulty falling asleep at night? If so, then you may be anemic. Sleep disturbances and insomnia are quite prevalent in those who have iron-deficiency anemia. Though insomnia in itself is not specific to anemia, sleep in people with anemia can is often compromised. Studies have shown a marked improvement in sleep once people with iron-deficiency anemia took iron therapy.
9. Anxiety
If you have anemia, then you might experience anxiety. Recall that anemia may lead to an increase in the heart rate. Increased palpitations can make you feel anxious. If stress intensifies without any particular reason, it could be due to anemia caused by an iron or vitamin deficiency.
10. Difficulty in Concentrating
An insufficient ability to make hemoglobin in the body affects red blood cell production, impairing the body’s oxygen supply to the organs. In turn, this action can affect your mood and concentration levels. You need nutrients like iron or vitamins essential for hemoglobin production inside the body. With a limited amount, you might not be able to concentrate. This might also hinder your ability to make decisions.
11. Numbness or Tingling
Most commonly, people with anemia experience a numb or cold feeling in their hands or feet. This sign is especially common with a vitamin B12 deficiency.
So we are still investigating into "the why" of my anemia but since the treatments have finished I’ve been pushing myself into doing more. 

As you all know I have had a significant compressed loss in the last few years and with mom passing in February she was like the final straw so all the above symptoms I just assumed were because I was sad and overwhelmed and stressed trying to fight my way back to normal.  As well during mom’s time of being sick in the hospital and sitting and watching her carbs and sugars became my BFFs again along sitting…..

Marina my brother's wife who I was very close to passed in 2006 that is why she is part of this loss picture. 
That said I had time to process her passing these other 3 siblings and 2 parents were one after another within a 3-year span. 


I had maintained my 76.6-pound weight loss for a long time but it cracked in February and now I’m fighting with my body to be motivated to be back in the right weight for me so that’s about 25 pounds away.  


That said I’m really excited that I’ve had all green everything from Friday to Friday which is impressive if you look at my stats from over the summer.  I’ve also been back following my 21 Day Fix lifestyle straight up for 18 days now.   



Life is a journey it isn’t always easy but we can get there if we fight for what we want.  So I haven’t given up my body has just been working against me a bit but it’s coming!   


No comments:

Post a Comment